Most of us who have desk jobs spend hours sitting in front of a computer. It’s a part of modern life and all that comes with it. Unfortunately sitting like this has lots of negative impacts when it comes to our posture and overall wellbeing.
While we can’t avoid it, we can make some basic adjustments and practice some simple stretches that should help us undo some of the damage that sitting for 8 hours a day can do.
1) Try and sit with your feet flat on the floor, knees in line with your hips and bent at a right angle. If you are feeling brave, try experimenting by sitting on a fitness ball instead of a chair!
2) Make sure you take regular breaks – looking way from your computer screen and getting up to walk frequently. Even a few minutes makes a big difference.
3) Try taking your phone calls standing up (or even squatting down if you can get away with it in your office, I dare you!).
4) Make sure your monitor is set up so you don’t have to crane your neck down, or twist side ways to look at it.
There are so many of yoga postures that will help with any tension built up from a day in the office and it’s always best to get along to a yoga class when you can. All of our corporate yoga and pilates classes will address the common issues that occur when we work 9-5 at a desk. Here are some simple poses we have done in class which will help ease tension after a long day:
1. Wide Legged Forward Bend with hands intertwined
2. Spinal Twist
3. Bridge Pose
4. Plough Pose
Make sure you warm up and do each pose gently. You will never go wrong if you go with what feels right for YOUR body.
If you would like to organise Yoga or Pilates classes in your office or workplace please get in touch.